Sometimes life’s a bitch.
Last week I woke up late—it was a Saturday—took a shower, and began getting ready for my day. I had plans with my partner to do stuff out and about. You know, instead of the usual being-a-hermit-inside-all-day which is so lovely to do during winter.
All of the sudden I had excruciating pain coursing through my right foot. I could barely put any pressure on it as I limped my way to the couch. What the hell did I do??
I still have no clue exactly how I managed to strain 2-3 tendons AND pinch my sural nerve; I wish I had a better story… I was finishing the last leg of my first triathlon! I crashed while paragliding off Sharp Top!
What I CAN tell you is one of my first thoughts: I bet Chiron’s on my Sun right now.
Meaning the asteroid known by some as the Wounded Healer, and which is currently traveling through the sign of Pisces, was most likely exactly conjunct my 25° Pisces Sun.
Chiron Transiting the Sun
Yep! There it was, plain as sudden pain on Astrodienst’s chart of the moment (which tells you where all the planets are at the current moment.) Chiron was sitting right at 25° Pisces.
You might be thinking—so? What does this have to do with a foot injury?
Well, gentle reader, there is a branch of astrology called medical astrology, and it theorizes that each zodiac sign rules a certain part of the body.
See the cute bull in the awesome illustration below resting on the figure’s shoulders? Accordingly, Taurus (the Bull) rules the throat and neck.
Which Signs Rule Which Body Parts?
Here’s a brief primer on the bodily rulerships:
Aries the Ram: the head
Taurus the Bull: the throat and neck
Gemini the Twins: the arms, lungs, and hands
Cancer the Crab: the breasts/chest
Leo the Lion: the heart and upper back
Virgo the Maiden: the stomach and digestive system
Libra the Scales: the hips, kidney area, and lower back
Scorpio the Scorpion: the genitalia and reproductive system
Sagittarius the Archer: the thighs and legs generally
Capricorn the Sea-Goat: the knees and bones
Aquarius the Water-Bearer: the ankles
Pisces the Fish: FEET!
So Chiron, the asteroid associated by most with wounds as well as with healing those wounds, being conjunct the exact degree of my Pisces Sun played out in a spectacularly literal fashion.
Oh, and I did mention this happened at home, right? Guess which house my Sun and transiting Chiron is in… that’s right, folks! The fourth house of home, family, and foundations. It’s almost as if this stuff works… ;-)
How To Find Chiron in Your Chart
So if you’re wondering now, after my tale of petty woe, WHERE THE HECK IS MY CHIRON?? Don’t panic—I can help you there. :-)
Follow my directions below to find your original/natal/birth placement of Chiron and to find out where in your chart it’s currently transiting.
First Go To Astrodienst
- Head on over to Astrodienst, where you can get your birth chart for free.
- Click on Create a Horoscope Immediately as a Guest User.
- Enter your name, preferred gender (all of the gender options will receive the same chart), birthday, time of birth (VERY important if you have it!), country, and town where you were born.
- If you don’t know your birth time, they have an option to choose “Unknown.” This will allow you to still see all of your planetary placements by sign, but not by house. You need a time of birth to find out your Ascendant/rising sign and house placements. If you were born very near to the Moon or another planet changing signs, you won’t know for certain which sign they’re in until you have your accurate time of birth. Just FYI.
- Click continue.
- Under Horoscope Chart Drawings, click Chart Drawing, Ascendant…
- And voilà! You have your natal chart. Good job!
- Now look for Chiron in the list of planets to the left of the actual chart. To the right will be the glyph for its natal Sun sign placement. Here is a handy-dandy guide that shows you what all those symbols mean! (Much love to CafeAstrology.)
- You can now confidently say, “Chiron is in Aries (for example) in my natal chart” to anyone you’re trying to impress with your astro-knowledge!
Where Is Your Chiron?
Now that you know which sign Chiron was in originally when you were born, take a look at the body part that sign rules. If it’s Aries, do you tend to bump your head a lot? Or have aching knees if it was in Capricorn?
Finding the house where Chiron is natally or by transit takes a bit more technical know-how, and this post is already long enough. Let me know in the comments if I should do a follow-up post on how to do this, or send me a quick email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your birth data and I’ll calculate and send it to you. :-)
Remember, whichever sign and house Chiron is currently transiting in your chart, it’s much more likely to be a metaphorical wound that needs tending to rather than a physical one. But maybe take extra care of those body parts just in case!
Lehman, J. Lee. Traditional Medical Astrology.
Leinbach, Esther V. Planets & Asteroids: Relationships In Conjunction.
Nolle, Richard. Chiron: The New Planet in Your Horoscope, The Key to Your Quest.